The functions and tasks of the Ministry of Education and Training are stipulated in the Decree No. 69/2017/ND-CP dated 25/5/2017 of the Government regulating the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structure of the Ministry of Education and Training and are cited as follows:
I. POSITION AND FUNCTIONS:
The Ministry of Education and Training is a government agency performing the function of State management of preschool education, general education, intermediate pedagogical education, college-level pedagogical education, higher education and other educational institutions regarding: educational goals, programs, content; regulations on examination, enrollment and diplomas and certificates; development of teachers and education managers; school facilities and equipment; quality control and accreditation of education quality; State management of non-business public services within the Ministry's state management scope.
II. TASKS AND POWERS:
The Ministry of Education and Training has the tasks and powers prescribed in the Governmental Decree No. 123/2016/ND-CP dated 01/9/2016 defining the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structures of ministries and ministerial-level agencies, and the following specific tasks and powers:
1. Submitting to the Government the draft laws, draft resolutions of the National Assembly, ordinance projects, draft resolutions of the National Assembly Standing Committee, draft Government decrees according to the annual legislative development program of the Ministry that has been approved, and the resolutions, projects and schemes assigned by the Government and the Prime Minister; the mechanisms and policies to mobilize social resources to develop education and training, to build a learning society and education channels.
2. Submitting to the Government and the Prime Minister long-term, medium-term and annual development strategies, planning and plans, and important projects and national works within the Ministry's state management scope.
3. Submitting to the Prime Minister the draft decisions, directives, national target programs, national programs, national action programs and other documents on the branches and domains under the Ministry's state management. or as assigned by the Government and the Prime Minister.
4. Issuing circulars and other documents on the fields within the Ministry's state management scope.
5. Directing, guiding and organizing the implementation of legal documents, strategies, planning, plans, national target programs, national programs, national action programs, projects, national important works after obtaining the approval; providing information, propaganda, dissemination and education of laws on education and training.
6. Regarding the educational objectives, programs and contents:
a) Setting up the education and training objectives suitable to the educational levels and training levels of the national education system within the Ministry's state management scope;
b) Promulgating preschool education programs, general education and regular education programs;
c) Promulgating, updating and guiding the list of level IV education and training at the intermediate pedagogical level, pedagogical college level, bachelor, master and doctoral degrees; regulations on training and joint training;
d) Regulating the minimum amount of knowledge, the capacity requirements that learners need to achieve after graduating from a pedagogical intermediate institution, a pedagogical college, a university, a master's degree course, and a doctorate course; the process of building, appraising and promulgating the training programs of intermediate pedagogical education level, pedagogical colleges, universities, master and doctoral degrees; compulsory subjects in the training programs for training levels of foreign-invested higher education establishments.
7. Regarding textbooks, curricula and materials:
a) Regulating the compilation, appraisal and approval of documents permitted for use; guiding the selection of materials in preschool institutions;
b) Specifying the standards, procedures for compiling and editing textbooks; prescribing the tasks, powers, modes of operation, standards, quantity and membership structure of the National Council for Assessment of Textbooks; promulgating criteria for evaluating textbooks and approving textbooks permitted for use on the basis of evaluation results of the National Council for Assessment of Textbooks; guiding the selection of textbooks in general education establishments;
c) Regulating the organization of compilation, selection, appraisal, approval and use of teaching materials, training curricula of intermediate pedagogical level, pedagogical colleges, universities, masters and doctoral degrees; organizing the compilation of textbooks on political reasoning, defense and security courses to create documents for uniform use in teaching and learning at the intermediate pedagogical level, pedagogical colleges, universities, masters, doctoral degrees;
d) Directing the compilation of illiterate eradication materials and continuing education materials after literacy and other continuing education materials.
8. Regarding regulations on examination, recruitment, diplomas and certificates:
a) Assuming the prime responsibility for formulating and submitting to competent agencies for signing agreements on diploma equivalence or mutual recognition of diplomas with other countries and international organizations;
b) Promulgating regulations on examination and recruitment; regulations on testing and assessing learners;
c) Regulating the forms of diplomas and certificates; the printing and management, allocation, withdrawal and cancellation of diplomas and certificates;
d) Regulating the recognition of diplomas granted by foreign educational establishments to Vietnamese people; prescribing diplomas recognizing practical and applied skill levels for people with intensive training after graduating from universities in a number of specialties;
d) Prescribing the diploma granting responsibilities and competence of Vietnamese higher education institutions when they perform joint training with foreign higher education institutions; prescribing the responsibilities of foreign-invested higher education establishments to grant university education diplomas in Vietnam.
9. Regarding development of teachers and education managers:
a) Regulating the working regime of teachers and educational managers; framework list of job placements and quota of the number of people working in education and training establishments;
b) Prescribing the criteria for heads and deputy heads of preschool education, general education and continuing education establishments, intermediate pedagogical institutions and pedagogical colleges; elaborating and submitting to the Prime Minister for promulgation the standards for heads and deputy heads of higher education institutions; instructing the standards for Directors, Deputy Directors of Departments of Education and Training, Heads and Deputy Heads of District-level Department of Education and Training; prescribing teachers' professional standards;
c) Elaborating and submitting to the Prime Minister the regulations on standards and procedures for appointment and dismissal of professors and associate professors;
d) Assuming prime responsibility for and coordinating with the Ministry of Home Affairs in promulgating the regulations on examination and promotion of professional positions for officers within the Ministry's state management scope;
d) Managing and guiding the implementation of the policies on training, re-training and remuneration for teachers and education managers; monitoring and supervising the implementation of recruitment and use of teachers and educational managers in ministries, branches and localities.
10. Management of school facilities and equipment:
a) Formulating and announcing according to its competence or proposing competent agencies to publicize the standards and regulations on school facilities, school equipment and sanitation;
b) Managing school facilities and equipment in the field of education and training within the state management scope of the Ministry.
11. Financial, property and public investment management:
a) Preparing annual budget estimates, 3-year state budget-financial plans; managing assets of agencies and units under the Ministry according to the provisions of laws;
b) Formulating and submitting to competent authorities for promulgation the regime, standards and quota of budget spending in the field of education and training; the mechanism of collection and use of service prices in the field of education and training for schools within the Ministry's state management scope;
c) Monitoring and inspecting the implementation of budget in the field of education and training in ministries, branches and localities;
d) Promulgating and guiding the implementation of economic and technical standards, norms and quota in the field of education and training;
d) Making public investment plans of the Ministry, deciding investment policies, deciding investment in programs and projects under its management according to the provisions of the Law on Public Investment; managing and implementing education and training investment projects in accordance with the laws; monitoring, evaluating and supervising the implementation of plans, programs and projects within the scope of management and implementing other tasks and powers in the field of public investment assigned by the Government and/or the Prime Minister or according to provisions of the laws.
e) Assuming the prime responsibility for, and coordinating with the Ministry of Finance in, elaborating and submitting scholarship policies. Coordinating with the Ministry of Finance to develop and submit to the competent authorities to issue preferential credit policies for pupils, students, especially-treated families and other policies for learners.
12. Education quality assurance:
a) Promulgating national standards for education and training establishments falling within the Ministry's state management scope according to the structural framework of the national education system and Vietnam's national qualification framework; providing detailed guidelines for stratification and ranking of higher education institutions with research orientation and application orientation; the minimum quality assurance conditions for implementing training programs;
b) Formulating and submitting to the Government the regulations on conditions, competence, procedures for granting, revoking operation registration certificates or certificates of additional registration of education activities at intermediate pedagogical levels, pedagogical colleges; conditions and procedures to permit and suspend training activities of foreign invested universities, institutes and higher education institutions;
c) Deciding to permit and suspend training activities of universities, institutes, scientific research academies allowed to train doctors and foreign-invested higher education institutions. Specifying the conditions, order and procedures for opening or suspending the operation of university-level disciplines and training majors in masters and doctoral degrees; deciding to permit the opening or suspension of activities of the bachelor majors, majors or training specialties in master and doctoral degrees;
d) Regulating the determination of recruitment quotas at the intermediate pedagogical level, pedagogic colleges, universities, masters and doctoral degrees;
d) Directing and guiding the quality assurance of education in educational and training establishments within the state management scope of the Ministry.
13. Education quality accreditation:
a) Prescribing the standards for assessment of educational quality; process and cycle of education quality accreditation at all levels and levels of training under the Ministry's state management;
b) Formulating and submitting to the Government the regulations on conditions for establishment, dissolution, duties and powers of educational quality accreditation organizations;
c) Regulating the issuance and revocation of education quality accreditation certificates;
d) Directing and guiding the quality accreditation of education and training establishments, education and training programs within the Ministry's state management scope.
14. Management of education and training establishments:
a) Promulgating the charters, regulations on preschools, primary schools, secondary schools, lower secondary schools, high schools, secondary schools with many levels of education, continuing education institutions and specialized schools. intermediate pedagogical schools, pedagogical colleges and other educational institutions within the Ministry's state management scope;
b) Developing and submitting to the Prime Minister for approval the planning of the network of higher education institutions and the network of teacher training institutions;
c) Developing and submitting to the Government the regulations on the conditions and procedures for establishing or permitting the establishment, merger, division and dissolution of educational and training establishments under the state management of the Ministry; the functions, tasks and powers of national universities. Developing and submitting to the Prime Minister for promulgation the regulations on organization and operation of national universities and member higher education institutions.
15. Deciding and directing the implementation of the Ministry's administrative reform program according to the objectives and contents of the state administrative reform program approved by the Government and the Prime Minister.
16. International cooperation;
a) Managing and guiding education and training establishments under its state management competence to implement international cooperation in teaching, training, building technical and material foundations and scientific research and technology transfer; promulgating or submitting to competent authorities for promulgation the regulations on management of operations of foreign educational establishments in Vietnam;
b) Promulgating the regulations on management of foreigners studying at educational institutions in Vietnam. Guiding the teaching and learning of Vietnamese language for foreigners and overseas Vietnamese.
17. Regarding scientific and technological activities, environmental protection:
a) Developing and submitting to competent authorities for promulgation the policies for scientific and technological development, environmental protection education in education and training establishments;
b) Approving and organizing the implementation of environmental and science and technology development projects and projects in education and training establishments under the Ministry.
18. Regarding non-business public services:
a) Prescribing the criteria and quality standards of non-business public services; the mechanism for monitoring and evaluating the operational efficiency of non-business public units in the field of education and training;
b) Guiding the implementation of the policies and laws and supporting organizations to carry out public service activities in the field of state management of the Ministry.
19. Regarding statistical work, building sector data:
a) Organizing and directing the implementation of statistical work; collecting, synthesizing, analyzing, managing and storing statistical information; formulating and promulgating a system of statistical indicators and statistical reporting regimes for education and training;
b) Developing database of the education and training sector.
20. Information technology:
a) Developing and submitting to competent authorities for promulgation the policies on information technology application in the field of education and training;
b) Approving and organizing the implementation of projects and schemes on enhancing information technology application in education and training establishments.
21. Managing organizational structure, staff, employees, civil servants and laborers; implementing salary policy and other regimes and policies for cadres, civil servants and employees within the state management scope of the Ministry in accordance with laws.
22. Inspecting; checking; resolving the complaints and denunciations; preventing and fighting corruption; practicing thrift and combating waste and handling violations according to laws.
23. Performing other duties and powers assigned by the Government, the Prime Minister or under the provisions of laws.
III. ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE:
1. The Preschool Education Department.
2. The Primary Education Department.
3. The Secondary Education Department.
4. The Tertiary Education Department.
5. The Ethnic Minority Education Department.
6. The Continuing Education Department.
7. The Defense and Security Education Department.
8. The Political education and Pupil and Student Affairs Department.
9. Physical Education Department
10. The Organization and Personnel Department.
11. The Planning-Finance Department.
12. The Science, Technology and Environment Department.
13. The Legal Department.
14. The Emulation - Reward Department.
16. The Inspectorate.
17. Education Quality Management Agency.
18. The Teacher and Education Administrator Bureau.
19. The Agency of Information Technology.
20. Vietnam International Education Cooperation Department
21. Agency of Education Facilities and Children’s Toys
22. The Vietnam Education Science Institute.
23. The Education Management Academy.
24. The Ho Chi Minh City Education Administrators School.
25. The Education and Time newspaper.
26. The Education magazine.
The units defined in Clauses 1 thru 21 of this Article shall assist the Minister in performing the state management function, the units defined in Clauses 22 thru 26 are subordinate non-business units serving the state management function of the Ministry.
The Minister of Education and Training shall submit to the Prime Minister for promulgation a list of the Ministry's non-business public units.
The Minister of Education and Training issues decisions regulating the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structures of the departments, bureaus, inspectorate, Office, non-business public units and other subordinate units under the Ministry in accordance with the laws.
The Office has 06 divisions.
The Inspectorate, Quality Management Bureau and Vietnam International Education Cooperation Department have 04 divisions each.
The Agency of Information Technology, the Agency of Teachers and Education Administrators, and the Agency of Education Facilities and Children’s Toys have 03 divisions each.