1. Foundation Date: The University was founded in 1947 with the name “Saigon University of Medicine and Pharmacy”. From the year 2000, the University is composed of 7 Faculties as follows:
- Faculty of Fundamental Sciences.
- Faculty of Medicine.
- Faculty of Pharmacy.
- Faculty of Traditional Medicine.
- Faculty of Odonto – Stomatology.
- Faculty of Nursing & Medical Techniques.
- Faculty of Public Health.
The Ho Chi Minh City University of Medicine and Pharmacy has owned one Medical Center with 300 beds for postgraduate training and medical research. There are also 30 hospitals in HCMC as teaching satellites for the University.
- Provides training for health workers from technical school levels to postgraduate levels;
- Leads scientific research in health;
- Provides health care to the population;
- Promotes international co-operation in training & scientific research.
3. Degrees and Programs
3.1. Undergraduate (Technicians): Training lasts from 2 to 3 years for traditional medicine therapist, dental hygienist, dental
laboratory technician, associate pharmacist, medical nurse, midwife, laboratory technician, radiological technician, public health technician, kinesitherapist, anesthesis.
3.2. Graduate: Training lasts from 4 to 6 years depending on the trained program. General medical practitioner – 6 yrs., Doctor in traditional medicine – 6 yrs., Doctor in odonto- stomatology – 6 yrs., Pharmacist – 5 yrs., Bachelor in nursing –
4 yrs., Bachelor in medical technology – 4 yrs., Bachelor in public health – 4 yrs.
3.3. Postgraduate:there are 3 kinds of postgraduate training:
- Internship for doctors & pharmacists: lasts from 3 to 4 years depending on the trained field:
+ 3 yrs. for internal medicine specialties, pediatrics, ophthalmology, odonto-stomatology, pharmacy.
+ 4 yrs. for surgery specialties such as traumatology-orthopedics, surgery, general internal medicine, otolaryngology, medical neurology, ophthalmology, pediatrics, gynecology-obstetrics, infectious diseases, endocrinology, anesthesiology-resuscitation, phthisiology and pneumology, concology, dermatology, pediatric surgery, clinical pharmaceutics, thoracic surgery, traditional medicine.
- Special degrees with level 1 and level 2 for doctors & pharmacists: Each level lasts 2 yrs. for all specialities.
- Master''s & Ph.D. degrees:
+ The training lasts 2 yrs. for Master''s degree with specialties such as: internal medicine, surgery, morphological medicine, functional medicine, microbiology and parasitology, otolaryngology, ophthalmology, gynecology-obstetrics, traditional medicine, preventive medicine, industrial pharmaceutics, pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmacopedics, anesthesiology and resuscitation, pediatrics.
+ The training lasts 2 to 4 yrs. for Ph.D. degree in the fields: human anatomy, surgery, internal medicine, pediatrics, gynecology- obstetrics, epidemiology, otolaryngology, urology, odonto-stomatology, industrial pharmaceutics and pharmacopedics, Asian and traditional drugs.
4. Besides 7 faculties, the University also has other hospitals, centers & facilities such as:
4.1. The University Medical Hospital: 300 bed hospital, hi-tech equipment for diagnosis & treatment, endoscopy, computed topography scanner, dopler echography, scintinggraphy. The hospital is dedicated to postgraduate training and medical research. It also hosts the endoscopic surgery unit with a focus on hepato-bibliary endoscopy, which belongs to the Advanced Medical Technology Center of the University.
The University Medical Hospital is located in 3 places:
- 215 Hong Bang Street, Dist. 5.
- 201 Nguyen Chi Thanh Street, Dist. 5.
- 221 Hoang Van Thu Street, Phu Nhuan Dist.
There are more than 30 hospitals, institutes, medical centers, and pharmaceutical factories/companies in Ho Chi Minh City participating in teaching at our University.
4.2. Advanced Medical Technology Center: includes 6 units, which are as Medical Genetic, Molecular Biology, Medical Immunology, Pharmacokinetics, Endoscopic Surgery, and High-tech Restorative Dentistry.
4.3. Bio – Medical Laboratory.
4.4. Pharmaceutical Technology Center.
4.5. Medical Skills Lab Unit.
4.6. Library: The university has the largest medical library in southern part of the country with 640 m2. The library has, 300 seats, 30,000 books, 600 magazine categories. It has an electronic library and internet. Each faculty also has its own library, which stores reference books for daily use.
4.7. Dormitory: The University has 4 dormitories as Ngo Gia Tu, Nguyen Thai Hoc, Nguyen Chi Thanh and Hoang Van Thu streets that can accommodate 1,500 students.
The University is under the direct control of the Ministry of Health. One Chancellor and two Vice Chancellors operate it with the assistance of 11 functional committees.
The university staff includes 982 employees. Among them, there are 659 Lecturers, 8 Professors and 25 Associate Professors. 96 persons hold Ph.D. degrees & 180 hold Master''s degrees.
There are 85 departments in the University: 8 in the Faculty of Fundamental Sciences, 28 in the Faculty of Medicine, 14 in the Faculty of Pharmacy, 6 in the Faculty of Traditional Medicine, 14 in the Faculty of Odonto – Stomatology, 6 in the Faculty of Nursing & Medical Techniques and 9 in the Faculty of Public Health.
Total enrollment: 8,000 full-time students excluding part-time students and short training courses.
6. Internal Relations
All collaboration activities of the University focus on:
- Exchange of academic information and materials;
- Exchange of faculty staff and students;
- Development of joint research project/programs;
- Joint organization of conferences and training programs.
The University is a member of many international associations & organizations as AUF, CIDMEF, ASIAUNINET, WONCA, SIDA, SIF, DAAD, etc.
The University cooperates with other universities and research institutes from all countries in the world such as France, USA, Holland, Canada, Japan, Australia, etc.
7. Contact Address
Ho Chi Minh City University of Medicine and Pharmacy
217 Hong Bang Street, Dist. 5
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Tel: 84-8-8558411, 8537949, 8555780