Thai Nguyen University (TNU) is located in Thai Nguyen City, a multi-disciplinary university of the northern mountainous area of Vietnam. TNU was established according to the Government Decree No 31/CP dated April 4th, 1994 based on the reorganization of a number of universities in Thai Nguyen province (Agriculture & Forestry University, Educational University, Medical University, Industrial Technical University and Industrial Vocational School). It was founded as a part of the new development plan for higher education reform. TNU is known as one of the three regional universities in Vietnam, and a unique university in the Northern Mountainous Area of Vietnam.
- To provide higher education in agriculture and forestry, education, medicine and health care, industrial technologies and related fields for the northern mountainous area of Vietnam through its postgraduate, undergraduate, and vocational training programs;
- To generate innovation/technologies and managing science for socio-economic development of the area;
- To participate in technological transferring and extension for socio-economic development of the area;
- To participate in setting up policies for sustainable development of the area and country;
- To be a center to generate, store, and provide information for development & management.
3. Member Colleges/Centers
TNU currently has 7 member colleges/faculties:
- College of Education
- College of Agriculture & Forestry
- College of Medicine
- College of Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Vocation School
- Faculty of Information Technology
- Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Besides, TNU has 18 training, R&D centers/practical workshops/experimental stations that belong to TNU or member colleges:
- Library & Information Center
- Center for Technical and Scientific Transferring for the North-East Area of Vietnam
- Center for Poverty Reduction
- Thai Nguyen Farmer''''s Training Center
- Center for Agro-forestry R&D in the Northern Mountainous Area
- Center for the Mountainous Natural Resources and Environment
- Health-environment Center for Northern Mountainous Area
- Center for Research and Applied Traditional Herbal Medicine in Northern Mountainous Area
- Center for High-tech Medical Diagnosis
- Center for Community Health in Mountainous Area
- Center for Cancer and Tissue Graft in Mountainous Area
- Electrical and Electronics Center
- The CAD/CAM and Robot Center
- Center for the Applied English Teaching
- Laboratory Center
- Agricultural and Forestry Experimental Farm
- Workshops for Practice and Manufacturing
- Center for Counseling Students.
4. Staff and Students
TNU currently has 1,600 staff, of which there are 1,200 lecturers with 40 Professors/Associate Professors, 110 Doctors, 500 Masters and 400 Senior Lecturers.
The current enrollment of 29,000 students, of which there are about 600 graduate students, 25,000 undergraduate (15,000 full-time and 10,000 part-time) and others are professional vocational students. 24% of the total students are ethnic minority students.
The annual application average is from 70-80 thousand applications from various parts of the country, mostly from 16 northern upland provinces of Vietnam.
5. Training Activities
Degrees and programs offered by Thai Nguyen University are:
5.1. Undergraduate Education:
- College of Education offers Bachelor of Arts (4 years) in Philosophy, Literature, History, Geography, Mathematics, Information and Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Civil Education, Psychology-pedagogy, Sport and Game Education, English, Chinese, Russian, Educational Management.
- College of Agriculture and Forestry offers Bachelor of Science (4.5 years) in Agronomy, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Forestry, Land Management, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Business, Accounting, and English.
- College of Medicine offers General Doctor of Medicine
- College of Industrial Engineering offers Bachelor of Science (5 years) in Machinery Engineering, Generator Engineering, Metallurgy, Electricity Design and Supply, Food Processing, Chemical Industry, Business Management and Accountancy.
- Faculty of Information Technology offers Bachelor of Science (5 years) in Information Technology and Computer Science.
5.2. Postgraduate Education:
- College of Education offers Master of Arts in History, Geography, Teaching Methodology of Mathematics, Literature, Physics, and Vietnamese; Master of Science in Genetics, Ecology, Bio-chemistry, Analysis Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Algebra and Analysis. TNU offers Ph.D. in Education, Chemistry and Biology.
- College of Agriculture & Forestry offers Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Agricultural Economics, Forest Science and offers Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Agronomy and Animal Husbandry.
- College of Medicine offers Master of Science in Preventive Medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery and offers the First Degree of Specialty in Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Otorhinolaryngology, Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Psychiatry and Public Health, Oriented Specialty Education.
- College of Industrial Engineering offers Master of Science in Machinery and Engineering Atomization.
5.3. Vocational Education:
- Industrial Vocational School offers professional training
(2 years) in Mechanic, Electricity, Hammer, Fitter, Forger and Welder.
6. Research and Extension Activities
Annually, the University is involved in a number of research programs. These research programs concentrate on:
- Renovation of training aims, contents, and programs, new courses, curriculum, distance learning development etc. to meet higher demands of socio-economic development of the area.
- Creating innovation/new technologies/solutions to deal with issues of socio-economics, community service and sustainable development of the area.
7. International Co-operation
TNU is focusing and calling for international co-operation in following fields:
- Co-operation in University Planning and Management (exchange experiences of structure organization and functioning of departments, exchange experiences of planning and management, student management);
- Co-operation in Improving Quality of Training (curriculum design and development, teaching methodological renovation, improving facilities for learning and information, faculty and student exchange);
- Co-operation in Building Research and Development Capacities (linkage and dealing with development issues of the northern mountainous area of Vietnam; joint research in natural conservation and environment, development of small-engineering technology, joint research in inter-culture evolution).
Asoc.Prof. Dr. Le Cao Thang, President
Dr. Hoang Van Phu, Vice Director of Science &
International Relations Office
(in charge of International Relations Affairs)
Address: Thai Nguyen University
Luong Ngoc Quyen Str., Thai Nguyen City,