Ho Chi Minh City Procuratorial College
The Ho Chi Minh City Procuratorial College originated as one branch of the Training Institute for Procurators which was established on January 7th, 1978. The College is directly under control of the Supreme People''s Procuracy and belongs to education system of Ministry of Education and Training.
1. Structure of the College
1.1. Managing Board: 1 Director, 2 Deputy Directors
1.2. Three functional departments
- Training and Science Department
- Organization and Administration Department
- Management Department
1.3. Four professional training departments
- Basic Theory
- Criminal Justice Supervision
- Civil Justice Supervision
- Economic, Administrative and Justice Supervision.
Training and fostering professional skills for procurators in the south of Vietnam.
3. Purpose of Training
Students of the college shall be equipped with theoretical knowledge of politics, laws, professional skills to initiate public prosecution and supervise judicial activities. At present, the college is initiating the training for college or higher level, in the coming time, we will only foster knowledge for those who have university degree and for further professional study.
4. Training Programs
There are 40 subjects. Time to study of each subject is different based on different types of training. For example, with respect to 3 year-regular course, time for every subject is divided as follows:
- Military training: 4 weeks
- Review and examination of final period: 3 weeks
- Practical training: 12 weeks
- Summer, new year holidays: 3 weeks
- Theory, practical training, seminars, practical report: 86 weeks
- Review, examination to terminate a term: 19.6 weeks
- Total time of listening to presentations and studying: 3,094 periods, in which:
+ Subjects on basic theories: 605 periods (20.1%)
+ Subjects on criminal justice supervision: 850 periods (26.4%)
+ Subjects on civil justice supervision: 585 periods (18.7%)
+ Subjects on economic, administrative and justice supervision: 460 periods (14.6%)
+ Extracurricular Subjects: 594 periods (19.4%)
Scale of training: currently, there are 450 students at the College, number of enrollment every year is 150-200 students.
Curriculum for basic theory and professional laws is adapted to books of Law University. Subjects on professional skills such as initiation of public prosecution and supervision of judicial activities are complied by the College. Education system of the college is often revised and supplemented.
6. Teaching Methods
Applying traditional methods combining both theory and practice. Teacher gives presentations at class, students learn themselves and do exercises at home. After certain time of study, the students shall be sent to local People''''''''s Procuracy for practice.
7. Difficulties and Methods of Dealing with
- Criteria on knowledge of procurator at present are: he must have LL.B degree and be trained for procuratorial skills while the college is allowed to train for college level.
Firstly, the College should coordinate with Law University in Ho Chi Minh City to give continuation education to those who already graduated from Procuratorial College, after passing an examination, they will get LL.B degree.
Secondly, the college no longer enrolls students graduated from high school, only initiate training procuratorial skills for those who have got LL.B degree or other degrees satisfying with requirements of a person working in legal field. Thus, the colleges shall initiate a comprehensive revision of curriculum, program and method of teaching.
- Teaching staff is insufficient and lack of experience.
Settlements: Increasing number of teachers, facilitating favorable conditions for students to have a long practice time at People''''''''s Procuracy.
- Material facilities do not meet training requirements, especially in matters of practice. Methods of settlement: strengthen material facilities.
Assoc. Dr. Pham Quang Huy, Director
Ho Chi Minh City Procuratorial College
Tang Nhon Phu A, Dist. 9
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam